Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Flash Fiction

Flash fiction is a style of fictional literature of extreme brevity. In other words, write a story and cut out 99.9% of it. The NY Times ran a contest where entries had to be 55 words or less. Esquire had a similar contest with stories running at exactly 78 words.

Often flash fiction contests have a theme that needs to be followed. I have heard of open mic nights where a word count and a theme is tossed out and the crowd entertains itself with attempts at a prize winning tale.

Using the Esquire guidelines of 78 words, I have crafted a three tales. I need more work and practice at flash fiction, but they're so short I think everyone can find something enjoyable about them.


1.
Sam noticed the rocks had melted into a neat puddle in his glass as he realized his mistake. However, an open door intrigued him. His adolescent mind ached for a beautiful woman disrobing. What he found was a Columbian. Dead blood covered the hotel’s pillows.
Sam loosened his tie as he changed gears. Las Vegas looked better in a rear view mirror when you’re driving away with a suitcase full of money sitting next to you, he decided.


2.
“In the name of science,” they said over and over. The young face looks up at me and the smoking gun in my hand shakes. I expected her to be older. Her skin is too soft. I’m afraid to move. As if I haven’t destroyed reality already, a single step in any direction might shatter the universe. The scientists reassured me that time travel wouldn’t hurt. However, killing my own grandmother had sent a tingle down my spine.

3.
The wedding party had been a success. The tables were being folded. Decorations were delicately taken down. Only a few candles kept the morning away. The bar was dry and the aroma of dinner had faded. Family and guests had all gone home to their beds.
            A new day was coming, but the old man and his beautiful wife didn’t notice. Holding each other tight they danced, for the floor was theirs.
            And the band refused to leave.


If you've got some spare time, give flash fiction a try. It's interesting and fun to see how economical one can be with words.

An odd thought has occurred to me as I write this post. How many words should I use on a post about flash fiction? Is it demeaning to the entire subject to write a post with too many words? In fact, do I have enough words for a proper good-

No comments: