Monday, April 9, 2012

Flick's Tab

A Glass Full of Blood and Tears

Flick here.

Those that know me, know that I am a huge Buffalo Sabres fan. I've been a fan since the organization's inception in 1970. My relationship with the ever changing team has meant more to me than some friendships and a great many acquaintances.

Following the team from the beginning of its existence has allowed me a unique perspective. There have been amazing highs and a great many lows. The arena (first the Aud and now the First Niagra Center) became my altar with the Blue and Gold sweaters the statue of my demigod. The names of children are carried on those sweaters and I'm part of a fan club that turns them into heroes and villains. I believe children is an accurate description as some players arrive to the NHL at the ages of 17 and 18. When you're as old as I am, anyone who can retire before the age of 40 is a child.

This was a year of tremendous expectations. This was to be the first full year of our new owner. He was happily spending money to improve the organization and everyone seemed to be buying into it. The General Manager who was not known to close deals on big name free agents, did exactly that. Players who were not living up to their own hype had finished last years season on a high note, giving hope that their deeds would carry over into the new year. On paper we were the third highest salaried team in the league and our players matched up well against the top tier teams.

We, the fans were excited. We, the fans had been given hope.

Then the season happened.

And here I am reading about the start of the playoffs on Wednesday and Buffalo is not in any of the match ups. They failed to live up to expectations. They failed to make the playoffs. They failed us, the fans.

I'm not sure how they truly feel, but I know I hurt. I will hurt for awhile and when I hurt, I want my drinks to hurt as well.


It would be easy to go out to the bar and order shot after shot of Uncle Jag, but that's child's play. That's reserved for birthdays, reunions and Thursdays.

I find that the pain of sports is reminiscent of the taste of fire that lingers in your mouth. So here are some recipes that mix alcohol and Tabasco. I hope these drinks make you hurt the way I feel.

Until next time. Drink up.


Atomic Drop (shooter)
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz tequila
3 drops Tabasco sauce

Put tequila and rum into shot glass. Squeeze in 3 drops of sauce then stir until Tabasco sauce has floated to the middle of the glass.

Great White Shark (shooter)
1/2 oz whiskey
1/2 oz tequila
dash(es) Tabasco sauce

Mix all ingredients in shaker with ice and pour into a shot glass.

God's Own

4 oz gin
2 oz vodka
2 drops Tabasco sauce
1/2 lime

Shake and pour the drink over crushed ice in a martini glass. Garnish with lime.

No comments: